A Salute to the Golden Age of American Popular Music

We salute the music from Broadway, Hollywood, New Orleans, Tin Pan Alley and the "melody makers;" i.e. the bands and singers that brought the music to us via the radio, recordings and live events in the period from the 1920's to the 1960's. This is the golden period of Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Richard Rodgers, Larry Hart, Oscar Hammerstein, Johnny Mercer, Hoagy Carmichael, Jimmy Van Heusen, Harold Arlen, Harry Warren, etc.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Andrews Sisters-'Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree' a WW2 favorite



 

The most played music of the World War Two period was, what I call the "parting: song. These songs were the lament of lovers parted by military duty. Would they ever meet again? Would the girl back home wait for the boy's return?  One of the most popular songs of this type "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me" was a big hit for  the Andrews Sisters, Patti, Laverne and Maxine.

Here is part of the lyrics;

Don't sit under the apple tree

With anyone else but me

Anyone else but me

Anyone else but me

NO! NO! NO!

Don't sit under the apple tree

With anyone else but me

Till I come marching home.



Don't go walking down lovers lane

With anyone else but me

Anyone else but me

Anyone else but me

NO! NO! NO!

Don't go walking down lovers lane

With anyone else but me

Till I come marching home.

In the 1940's, the Andrews Sisters were, without a doubt, America’s most popular female singing group. Patty, the youngest sister, was a loud and energetic blond who headed the group with her confident vocals. The middle sister was Maxine, a brunette, whose harmonic range gave the impression of four voices instead of three. Finally, completing the trio was the eldest, Laverne, a strong willed red head with a witty sense of humor and an eye for fashion.



They had major hits in nearly all types of music ranging from swing to country-western.  The trio were successful in radio, Hollywood movies ( several Abbott and Costello comedies) and on Broadway.

Here are the Andrews Sisters singing "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree (with anyone else but me)" 


 TO SHOP FOR MUSIC CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment