A Salute to the Golden Age of American Popular Music

We salute the music from Broadway, Hollywood, New Orleans, Tin Pan Alley and the "melody makers;" i.e. the bands and singers that brought the music to us via the radio, recordings and live events in the period from the 1920's to the 1960's. This is the golden period of Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Richard Rodgers, Larry Hart, Oscar Hammerstein, Johnny Mercer, Hoagy Carmichael, Jimmy Van Heusen, Harold Arlen, Harry Warren, etc.

Friday, December 14, 2012

'It Had To Be You' from the Great American Songbook


"It Had to Be You" is a popular song written by Isham Jones, with lyrics by Gus Kahn. It was first published in 1924.

Why do I do, just as you say, why must I just, give you your way 
Why do I sigh, why don't I try - to forget 
It must have been, that something lovers call fate 
Kept me saying: "I have to wait" 
I saw them all, just couldn't fall - 'til we met 
It had to be you, it had to be you 
I wandered around, and finally found - the somebody who 
Could make me be true, and could make me be blue 
And even be glad, just to be sad - thinking of you 
Some others I've seen, might never be mean 
Might never be cross, or try to be boss, but they wouldn't do 
For nobody else, gave me a thrill - with all your faults, I love you still 
It had to be you, wonderful you, it had to be you



No comments:

Post a Comment