A Salute to the Golden Age of American Popular Music

We salute the music from Broadway, Hollywood, New Orleans, Tin Pan Alley and the "melody makers;" i.e. the bands and singers that brought the music to us via the radio, recordings and live events in the period from the 1920's to the 1960's. This is the golden period of Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Richard Rodgers, Larry Hart, Oscar Hammerstein, Johnny Mercer, Hoagy Carmichael, Jimmy Van Heusen, Harold Arlen, Harry Warren, etc.

Monday, January 2, 2012

What was Frank Sinatra's favorite signature song?

Q. What was Frank's favorite signature song?

A. There was not just one special song that served as Frank's signature song...he changed with the times.

Some of the songs most associated with Frank were the now standards  "All or Nothing at All," "Angel Eyes," "Autumn in New York," "I Concentrate on You," "I Get a Kick Out of You," "I'll Be Seeing You," "I'll Never Smile Again," "I've Got a Crush on You," "I've Got You Under My Skin," "Nancy (With the Laughing Face)," "Night and Day," "One for My Baby," "September Song" and "Stormy Weather." Each of these songs he recorded three times or more.

But, his personal signature songs through the years included "Put Your Dreams Away" (his 1945 theme) and later "Young at Heart" (1954), "All the Way" (1957), "It Was a Very Good Year" (1965), "Strangers in the Night" (1966), and the two most popular, "My Way" (1969) and "New York, New York" (1980).

Listen below to Frank singing the song that he closed his 1940's radio programs with (and a favorite of Tina Sinatra) "Put Your Dreams Away."
What song do you most associate with Frank Sinatra?

No comments:

Post a Comment